Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Crossfit Isn't Bad. It's Worse!

It took 2 years to get myself in the mindset to do something about my overall health and wellness, but I think I found the right program.  Crossfit.

What is Crossfit?  Crossfit was developed as a High Intensity Training program.  The workouts are performed in a group setting with a qualified trainer and are never the same.  A typical workout lasts under an hour from warm up to cool down. 

The workout of the day, or WOD, is posted on the main Crossfit website, www.crossfit.com, and affiliated gyms (or ‘boxes’ as they like to call themselves) usually post the workout on a white board where you can see what type of pain you’re going to be in for that day.

The program is a mix of weight lifting, cardio, body weight movements, gymnastics, and stretching.  Thousands of people have fallen in love with this program and so have I.

However, these workouts are not easy.  But that’s the point.  You get results by pushing yourself.  There are alternatives to most, if not all the movements, if you aren’t quite up to speed, yet.  But, over time, you will get stronger and you will be challenged.

When I finally decided to get off my butt, I thought about what type of program that I would like to start.  I hadn’t been in a gym in over 2 years, my job consists of sitting at a computer all day, and I wasn’t sure how much I could push myself.

I thought about re-joining a gym, but that usually ends up with me paying for a membership I end up not using.  I thought about joining a martial arts class, but my immediate thought is that of Kramer from Seinfeld in a class of 11 year olds.

So, I searched online for some alternatives.  Crossfit kept coming up in my search results, so I decided to research it on the main site.  Once I realized that this seemed like a good fit for me, I did a search (also available on the main Crossfit site) for some local boxes.

The main equipment needed are a pair of shorts, a breathable t-shirt, and a good pair of shoes that can handle some short distance running and plyometric movements.  Many seasoned crossfitters recommend the Inov-8 brand due to their weight and comfort for many of the movements of Crossfit.  However, like any other sport, use what you've got until you're sure you want to stick with it for a while.  Then you should start looking for upgrading your equipment.



Within that search, the Crossfit Cleveland location displayed.  It was relatively close to my house and they have a beginner class twice a week in the evening.  For 10 bucks a session, they break down the basic movements used in a normal Crossfit regimen while still offering a great workout.  The only difference between the beginner classes and the regular workouts are that beginners don’t use free weights.  But, trust me.  Body weight exercises in this fashion will push your limits.

In only a couple of months, I have already seen some pretty tremendous results.  I am in no way ready to run a marathon or dead lift 250 pounds, but my gut has decreased, my arms are showing some definition, and I’m more alert and energetic throughout the day.

The trainers that have been teaching the classes are all very knowledgeable, friendly, and don’t hold back when it comes to getting you motivated.  This is the type of workout that might make you puke, but you’ll still come back for more.  At least it is for me, anyways.

This is something that can be done at home, at your local Crossfit box, or even out in a park.  However, the group session atmosphere and the hands on training you receive makes wanting to get up and get fit more fun.

I’ll be posting some sample workouts and other tips that I’ve come across for getting in better shape over the coming weeks.  Until then, it’s time to check out the Crossfit Cleveland blog to see what they’ve got in store for me tonight.

No comments: