Monday, December 21, 2009

What I like about Christmas...

In 50 words or Less

- New Snow
- Twinkling Lights in a darkened room
- Seasonal Winter Ales
- Fireplaces
- New food recipes
- Avoiding Crowds
- Cleaning up the house for Santa's visit
- Cinnamon
- Sweaters

Eh, who am I kidding? I like the week leading up to Christmas. Morning traffic is a bit thinned out and so is the office. The workload even lightens up a bit. There are new recipes that bloggers all over the place start sharing. The best recipes can be found over at http://www.suburbanbliss.net/ where Melissa's husband, Logan, has been posting a different drink recipe for every day leading up to Christmas. I love finding a quiet spot somewhere off in the corner at my parents' place on Christmas Eve and take solace in the fact that only 1 of the 6 maniac kids running amok has to actually come back home with me.

I have no idea what to expect in the coming year, nothing is set in stone, but I know my son will be in awe of the fact that Santa remembered to pick up the latest Wolverine toy even though Daddy said we had to leave it at the store.

There's a good chance I may soon join the unending ranks of the unemployed this winter. I try not to think about it, but it's sitting there like a 900 pound gorilla waiting to greet me each morning. I'm just hoping it doesn't treat me like a Samsonite carry-on when my current project finally wraps.

Until then, I'm going to try to sample as many of Logan's 12 days of Christmas cocktails as I can and think about the look on my son's face when Wolverine is finally staring at him face to face.

Next list to come: New Year's Resolutions...I promise I will blog more often than every 6 months...

3 comments:

copaX said...

I'm sorry to hear about your potentially impending gorilla.

Just remember even if the gorilla does show up and "samsonite" your day, that on the next day the sun will rise again, your wife and son will be there to love you, and you'll have a chance to make the next day as good as you can.

Mojito Libre said...

Hey, thanks for the words of encouragement, Copax. We'll see if the hammer comes down around here or not. There's a lot of crazy re-org stuff going on, but won't know until the new year to see if it affects my group. If it does, I'll just go into business selling used socks I find lying on the road.

Jen said...

good to see you blogging! i like your list of "likes". new snow, twinkling lights in a dark room, wearing a cinnamon sweater. (i might have read that wrong...)

i survived getting getting laid off from that insane asylum you're currently working for. it's not fun, but a bit of a relief.

there are other jobs out there. jobs that allow you to retain a home/work balance and whatever sanity you have left.

it's horrible to be under the constant threat of "re orgs" and "lay offs". it's exhausting and all you can do is try to work hard, and know that in the end it can be pretty damn random.

i've seen good, smart people get laid off over the last year. i've seen some real dummies keep their jobs for no good reason. and vice versa.

you're really good at your job. i wouldn't say that about 90% of the people in this field i've encountered.

and i'm starting to hear about decent jobs opening up after the holidays.

i think you're going to be a-ok!

in the meantime, enjoy a non-virgin rickey and have a great holiday!