Friday, September 26, 2008

Kettlebells and Soda

I will admit that I have broken my prohibition a bit over the last week. But just a little.

Spent all day Sunday working out in the yard and a cold beer was the perfect end to that day.

Then on Tuesday I had to finish what was left of the beer in the fridge.

I did, however, manage to lose about 7 pounds during the time I cut back on booze.

Success!

I also coupled the "no drinking" thing with a Kettlebell routine.

I forget how I found out about them, but so far, the results are amazing.

I've managed to pull my calf, my back, my tricep and my groin in a more efficienct manner than traditional weights! :-)

I seriously did. Of course, this is attributed to the fact that I didn't keep proper form during the first couple of times I started using a kettlebell.

But, this thing works. I'm doing a routine of only 2 main excercises spread out through the week and so far I'm able to see some definition in my arms and in my legs. By the way, I'm only using a 25 lb. weight and the routines don't require a lot of time...5 minutes for one and 12 minutes for the other. Also, I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks.

It reminds me of the "shovel glove" thing that Copax posted a few weeks ago, but less retarded. The shovel glove was thought up by some guy in his living room a couple of months ago. The Kettlebell has been developed and honed for over 300 years by the Russians. Most notably, the Russian military.

If you're willing to feel a lot of pain (moreso if you hurt yourself), then I recommend it. A good place to get started is reading up on Pavel and getting one of his books or DVD's:
http://www.powerbypavel.com/

Also, not drinking a ton of beer and sticking to Club Soda and Virgin Rickey's helped me out immensely.

1 comment:

copaX said...

I'll have to check out this kettlebell. I'm still on the search to find an exercise that works for me. and by works I mean it doesn't bore me to tears and actually gives me some benefits.

I never did try the shovelglove, but I may have to give this kettlebell thing a try