Monday, December 15, 2008

Pawn Shop Guitars and Candy Bars

I've been telling myself for the better part of a decade to just sit down and learn a little bit of guitar. God knows, I've got enough instruments to get me going. I've got some hand-me down guitars from my brother and uncle. I've also got a really nice Telecaster.

For some reason, though, I want to learn on a banged up piece of junk Pawn Shop Guitar. There's just something mythical about them. I've always eaten up the stories about great guitarists who pick up an axe at some sleazy shop and usually take this instrument to new heights in their career.

Take, for example, Clapton's Blackie (one of them) or Stevie Ray Vaughan's SRV1. These Strats were both, supposedly, purchased at pawn shops while they were on tour. I know Clapton had extensive work done on his, but how cool is that? Here's this guitar that some guy (someone probably like me) figured was worth giving up for 50 bucks and it ends up in the hands of a master (don't flame me...I know these guys aren't the end-all, be-all, but they're pretty damn good - alright?).

I really shouldn't be looking for a guitar at this moment...what with Christmas, Mojito Jr's b-day, and work pressures, but why not? I think I'm now at the age where I don't take knowledge for granted and now with the way technology is, there really are a lot more different ways to learn than trying to follow a doped-up guitar teacher.

I came across some software that seems pretty straightforward in its teaching method...something that was definitely missed when I took lessons a few different times. A computer program doesn't cut you short by 15 minutes every session and it doesn't make excuses as to why it doesn't want to teach you a certain song or chord progression or why it's late.

I think using an old beaten up guitar to learn next to a brand spankin' new software program would make for an interesting lesson plan.

Now, I just have to get Mrs. Libre to hear me out....

5 comments:

Groundcat said...

i have quite a few guitars, some rather expensive. The one I play the most is a $100 Fender Squire (one of the cheapest in their line).

there are plenty of free instructional materials on the WWW. I've seen some great stuff on YouTube.

do it!

Mojito Libre said...

I used to have a Squire...it was actually a pretty decent guitar. I traded it in for a lap steel. My goal was to learn the basics of slide and then transition to the steel. That plan never came to fruition.

Groundcat said...

i tried a number of squires before i found the one that 'felt right' to me.

i've been itching for my pedal steel guitar to return to me. i sold it a number of years ago. it was a real steal for the guy who bought it :)

if you can afford it, NEVER sell your instruments. it will usally be regretted later.

Mojito Libre said...

I am in awe of anyone that can play a pedal steel. That's why I think I liked Son Volt so much when they came out.

I saw a sweet Rose Bud (I think) up in Toledo about 12 or 13 years back. The frets didn't have pearl inlays, they had spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds set in. It was beautiful, but pretty expensive if I recall correctly...around 2600 bucks.

Mojito Libre said...

Oh, and I went in to Guitar Center last night and I was juuust a bit overwhelmed. I forgot how many guitars they actually have.